Around PCSX2PCSX2 was the first PlayStation 2 emulator. Through persistent development, it has remained the best one around! Game compatibility is high. It conveniently comes equipped with its own plug-ins, which is customized. PCSX2 demands a quick computer in order to operate well. You might have trouble using it in case you’re using a budget laptop or a Windows tablet.
Together with other emulators you can get away with using your keyboard for gameplay. However, with PCSX2 it is pretty difficult, given the PlayStation 2 controller’s miniature joysticks. I strongly advise purchasing a gamepad with this emulator.
Don’t download PCSX2 out of their Website The download of PCSX2 from the official homepage has not been updated in years. Instead, you’ll find the most latest releases of the emulator from this’automatic assembles’ page.
Intro to plug-in system
PlayStation 2 emulation revolves around the plug in system. The same system used by PlayStation 1 and N64 emulators. PlayStation emulators are only the shell of this surgery.
PCSX2 comes equipped with plug-ins, so you don’t need to worry about downloading them separately and configuring them. I still want to review different kinds of plug-ins with you. It’s fantastic to be educated with the way the emulator functions. Here’s the list of these:
This controls the images and 3D rendering. This controls the way you control your matches; if you use a keyboard or a gamepad. This controls the audio and sound effects. CDVD – the CD/DVD plug in. This controls the scanning of your CDs/DVDs or graphics. This controls USB emulation. FW – the firewire plug-in. This controls the firewire port of the PlayStation 2. Note that you don’t have to stay with the plug-ins that come with PCSX2. You might find better ones on the market if you Google around.
The PlayStation 2 BIOS is required to be able to boot games. This is another download after you have downloaded PCSX2. Below you may download this BIOS.
If you do not find the file expansion, try showing them. Keep on reading below for what to do next after you get into the BIOS.
Setup Newer versions of PCSX2 are only standalone programs in a zip file. Older versions of PCSX2 install via a wizard. I’ll explain both scenarios.
Installing the standalone app (newer versions) Setup is easy: just extract PCSX2 out of the zip file. Here is a video tutorial showing you how: how to unzip files on Windows.
IMPORTANT! PCSX2 has to be set in a frequent folder on your computer. I recommend Documents, Downloads, or create a folder on your desktop computer. If you put PCSX2 someplace else on your primary C drive, then you may be restricting it to unsubscribe accessibility. Doing so prevents PCSX2 from storing anything.
- Using the install wizard (older versions)
- Double-click on the install EXE for PCSX2. It is going to look something like
- The”Pick Components” box is going to be the very first display to pop up: Leave everything checked and click on Next.
- The setup will proceed. You’ll be prompted with this particular box to Visual C++: Put a check which you read the conditions and click Install.
- PCSX2 is set up! But we are not done yet. Read the next section about what to do when you start PCSX2 for the very first time.
First Time Configuration + BIOS setup
If you installed PCSX2 having an install wizard, then you’d open it by going to your Start menu (your programs list) and open PCSX2 there. PCSX2 welcomes you the Very First Time Configuration display. Click Next. The following display only reviews the plug-ins which arrive with PCSX2. You don’t have to do anything . Click Next. Next is the BIOS screen. Click Open in Explorer, as shown below:you will be prompted with a”This route does not exist. Create it? Click Create. Now Reduce this”First Time Configuration” window. Notice the route where the BIOS folder is found. Open up that folder. PS2 BIOS download when you have not already, unzip it, and drag its contents into your BIOS folder. It should look something like below: It is very important which you match the preceding screenshot in your end. Don’t place the BIOS files in a sub folder inside the BIOS folder! Bring back the” First Time Configuration” window. Click the Refresh listing button (circled below). You should now see the Europe, Japan, and USA BIOS files look in the white box.
- Click your preferred country to choose it. Then click Finish.
- That is it! PCSX2 is now completely installed and configured.
Setting up the computer keyboard or gamepad
Usually emulators have all of the keyboard keys preconfigured, but PCSX2’s keys are a clean slate the first time you open it! You don’t have any option except to configure them. Again, I recommend you to buy a gamepad because the PlayStation 2 controller has a lot of buttons. Using only the keyboard is a frustrating experience.
PCSX2 does not need any particular instructions for using a PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, or even Xbox controller. However, the very first time you plug into your computer it needs to be properly setup or requires special instruction for connecting. There are lots of movies on YouTube showing You the Way to do this:
- How to set up a PlayStation 2 controller on a PC
- The best way to set up a PlayStation 3 controller onto a PC
- The best way to connect an Xbox controller into a PC
Loading a real PS2 game you own
Loading a genuine PlayStation 2 game that you own is incredibly straightforward. Simply pop the game in, wait a few moments, then in PCSX2 visit System > Boot CDVD (complete ).
However, I do not advise playing your matches through your DVD-ROM drive. PCSX2 is a rather demanding emulator in your CPU. Running the game from the DVD-ROM drive will slow down it and lower its own functionality. Rather, I suggest ripping your match to an ISO. I have directions for that right under.
Backing up your PS2 game to ISO
It’s a common sort of ISO format.
- Download & install ImgBurn (it is free). You can download ImgBurn in the ImgBurn homepage. *If you’ve got an anti-virus like AVG, it might flag ImgBurn for containing adware. Don’t worry – it does not include adware!
- This warning is false. All ImgBurn does is show you ads throughout the install wizard (which is the reason AVG falsely flags it). ImgBurn is 100% secure.
- Upon opening ImgBurn, click Create image file from disk, as revealed here.
- Make certain the proper source drive is put in”Source”, then click the Read icon as exhibited here.
- That’s it! Ripping your game CD will require maybe 20-30 minutes. By default, ImgBurn will toss the BIN file (the ISO) into Records .
In my links page, I have some good links to websites where you are able to download ISOs. If you wish to try to find more sites than what’s in my set of hyperlinks, just Google around.
However, an even greater use of Google is to search Reddit. People upload PlayStation 2 matches to cloud platforms all the time. You will only find these hyperlinks to such valuable tools on Reddit. Try search phrases like”reddit download playstation two “.